Sunday, June 20, 2010

24 hr away from Rinjani

Tomorrow is one of the big days for me. It is big as it a physical and mental challenge for me. I am leaving for the second hiking trip to Mt Rinjani, Lombok, Indonesia. I was possessed by Mt Rinjani after seeing the picturesque crater, the crater lake known as Segara Anak ('Child of the Sea') and the small volcano inside the lake named Mount Barujari (or 'New Finger Mountain').



However, having returned from Mt Kinabalu only a moth ago, I still remember the pain in the thigh muscles. I vividly remember that I couldn't make swift movements for a few days after the trip. That part of the memory has been trying to overwhelm the moments I have enjoyed along the trail. I was on dilemma for a few days. Guest what, finally I decided to keep the promise that I have made to myself. Among all the breath-taking photos, I have chosen a modest one as my fear is still making me less ambitious. I will be satisfy if I can be there to see the view regardless the sun has just come up from the horizon or already above my head. My body is whispering me "please come back with bearable pain" so I can't push it too much.

While browsing through, I came know learn about the active volcanos. Mt Barujari is an active volcano which last erupted on 22-23 May 2010, which means just last month. As per the trust-worthy volcano site Global Volcano Program, the ashes were ejected as high as 2km, and the ash plumes drifted for 12km and caused ash falls in many areas. It also says that lava flows into the crater lake and the water gets hot upto 35 degrees Celcius. I can't deny that I have some concern for the ashes in the air. Hope it wouldn't be too much and wouldn't disturb the quality of air. The altitude sickness and chill factors cannot be underestimated too. Wiki travel says "Climbing Mount Rinjani is not to be taken lightly" probably for all these reasons.

We are taking the route
Day 1) Senaru village --> Sembalun Lawang --> Plawangan II crater rim
Day 2) Plawangan II creater rim --> Rinjani Summit --> Lake Segara Anak
Day 3) Lake Segara Anak --> Plawangan I Senaru crater rim
Day 4) Plawangan I Senaru crater rim --> Senaru village



In the picture, it started from the left hand side of the red thread, then to Post I, Post II, Post III but Plawangan II crater rim is not mentioned. I am eager to find out more about the route. Although the guide books say a lot about the rich flora and fauna, I do not expect to see much. Most likely, wewill be busy balancing between reaching to the next rest point and saving energy as much as we can.

Now, I am less than 24 hr away from Saneru. Rinjani, here I come!

1 comment:

thandar kyaw said...

Have a nice trip my sis !