Sunday, September 21, 2008

True leaders

I met my ex-classmate a few days ago and it reminded me of my English teachers who inspired me to live with values and principles, to explore opportunities, to work hard as well as smart and to have courage to be myself.

In the formal educational system, I started to learn English in the first year of Middle School (similar to secondary school in other countries). We learned reading and writing but never had a chance for listening and speaking. It is tough to learn a language as I grew up in a monolingual environment. In my childhood and part of teenage, TV was still a luxurious item especially in a small town about 400 kilometers away from the capital. Even when I moved to the capital, not everyone listened to English channels through media such as TV and radio.

My English teachers created a space for us to listen to and speak English. I started to visit Saya U Khin Maung Zaw’s home cum tuition while I was idling at home for 3 years as no universities were open. When I moved to Yangon, U Khin Maung Zaw introduced me to Saya U Sein Win (Ludu Sein Win). It was when I first met the city girls and boys. I was surprised when I hear from a student that her dream was to work with NASA. At that time, I did not know what “dream” meant. And NASA was too big for me to dream of. Later, the tuition became an important part of my life as it was more than a language center. I met senior classmates who are very confident, I listened to Saya’s lectures which opened my eyes and motivated me to be a better person. And, I was first introduced to the overseas scholarship programs by Saya U Sein Win.

When I started to work, I attended Saya U Win Naing (Hledan) tuition. Initially, it was simply because Heldan is closer to my work place. Later, I found the teaching method was very engaging and I was so much attached to the classroom. After a year, not only the classroom, the kitchen also became our hunting ground. I will never forget the weekly offerings at tuition. It is where I learnt to communicate more effectively, lead the junior students by sponsoring programs at Symposium. It became my second home.

When I came to Singapore, I understand the importance of effective communication much better. Besides, I also realized that self- esteem, confidence and respect are key elements to be able to survive in a foreign land. I often missed the moments at the three tuitions where I learnt to be myself, leant to dream, and dream big.

We do need people like my English teachers. They are the candles that brighten our future. Leadership inspires the best a person can be. Leaders change people’s perspective. They are the important leaders who created big changes in my life.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good article!!!
it make me feel and constant nostalgia thinking.
Last Thedinggyut festival,I could not go back Burma and miss all of our own atmosphere which created by our Sayagyi.
See you
wizard

Fox said...

wow. You're really good with words! Pitty Google cannot translate Burmese yet. But you're older English posts are very interesting, too. You're totally right, our teachers really to have an imprinting influence on our life. sadly, at least in Germany, they seem to forget this while dealing with the bureaucracy of their job. Greetings from Munich!

Ohne Pe said...

Great article!!!!!!Yes we do need the Candles (U Wynn Naing,U Sein Win....) for our country future.Cause Education makes our future.

Ohne Pe said...

Great article!!!!!!Yes we do need the Candles (U Wynn Naing,U Sein Win....) for our country future.Cause Education makes our future.