Monday, September 29, 2008

Bottom line in Visa Applications

I received a call from a girl whose name I do not know. She asked me what happened to my “SOLD” copy of Singapore PR Identity Card. I had to ask her some questions to find out that her friend used a copy of my IC for Visa application and was rejected at the airport. Her friend (let’s name him THIS BOY for easy reference) came to Singapore yesterday, and was sent home on the same day from Changi Airport.

I asked a few more questions to know where he got the copy of my IC and the conversation revealed that it was from a girl I met during my last trip to Yangon. I came to know this girl (THIS GIRL for easy reference) through a respectable acquaintance. My acquaintance introduced THIS GIRL to me if I can ease her from some complicated and costly procedures for her attempt to come to Singapore. Being gone through such hustles myself, I willingly gave a copy of my IC. Somehow, THIS GIRL passed a copy to her cousin without informing me.

I did not know the conversation between THIS BOY and the immigration officer at the airport. Recently, I heard from friends that the immigration officers called the local contacts and asked if he/she invited the visitor. I was wondering whether THIS BOY was rejected for not being able to provide the affirmation from the local contact. In this case, I don’t think I would be able to say a “Yes” even if the officer called me for confirmation as I was informed of nothing. Now THIS BOY has a loss of money at least for the ticket, time he spent for preparation, and above all his hope of exploring the outside world.

When it comes to rules and regulations, it is crucial to fulfill the bottom line in order to make things happened legally. In this case, the requirements as per ICA (Ref: http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=168&secid=166#Documents%20Required ) have to be fulfilled.

Through this post, I would like to inform all our brothers and sisters back home that it is the responsibility of the person to get permission if he/she is going to use someone’s IC for Visa application. It is important especially in such tight conditions at Singapore immigration. He/she should also inform the local contact for his/her arrival so that the person can provide required information if needed.

Hope everyone can make their dreams come true by meeting the bottom line.

No comments: