Saturday, September 20, 2008

Cultural Night 2008

I've had a chance to visit my juniors' cultural night at LKYSPP. Thanks to all MPPs and MPAs for inviting me. We showcased the costumes of our 8 major tribes in Myanmar - Kachin, Kayar, Kayin, Chin, Mon, Myanmar, Yakhine and Shan. I was chosen to wear Kayin costume which is a 1-piece dress with simple hair band just because my juniors thought that I am a Kayin. I am not a Kayin but I do look like one of them as I possess the distinctive jaws. It was really fun to walk up and make some Kayin dance moves. By the way, my friend who was wearing Kayin Men's wear won first runner up in best dressed male students.

I am very glad to meet all the juniors and so pleased to see those in early 20s coming to Singapore for a Master's degree. The earlier they can expose themselves to the world for the best learning opportunities, I am sure they have much better chance to contribute to the society - be it back home or somewhere else.

It was also good to meet some classmates who are continuing their MPP or doing Ph.D. In this year’s cultural night, the school has also added some fun. I noticed Prof Paul Barter busy taking note for the best dressed male and female students. Scott came in the second part of the program and gave out the awards for the best booth and best dressed male/female students.

I miss my days in LKYSPP. My journey at the school was quite an experience because the days were tough with full-time work and part-time study but sweet with satisfaction. Well, I have yet to find out how I should apply the academic knowledge from MPA. I am grabbing all bits and pieces of opportunity in the social development; I believe that I am living with my mission. And I also hope that I will be able to contribute more to whichever society I am living in.