Sunday, May 23, 2010

Setting up a library and reading program

Hello friends

I am interested in book donation and building up a library for a Monastery at Thanlyin (I have been supporting this Monastery for about 2 years now). It is a Monastery Education Center (ဘုန္းႀကီး ေက်ာင္းသင္ပညာေရး ေက်ာင္း) housing about 300 orphans from the borders and poor children from surrounding villages. I do believe that power of knowledge and education can help them escape vicious circle of poverty. I have some friends who are interested to provide used English books and I also can collect some donations to buy Myanmar books. What I am needing is to start up the library and to have a (weekly or so) reading program to nurture interests of reading in the students.

I would like to find out whether I can have some support for this. Maybe this person needs to go to Thanlyin on weekends, start up a library, and run a reading program. I would like to support for the transport and small daily expenses.

I can do the collection and transporting the books to Yangon for the following categories
- Pre-school learning books (Colors, Sizes & Shapes, ABC, 123, etc)
- Kindergarten Story books in English
- Primary level general knowledge
- Teen story books
- Teen general knowledge

I also want to have some Myanmar books. Please drop me a line if anyone of you or your friends is interested to work with me?

1 comment:

Saint said...

I am fortunate to meet a group of friends in Yangon, Myanmar. They are interested to help start up this program. Meanwhile, I will be collecting the books under the following categories:
- Pre-school learning books (Colors, Sizes & Shapes, ABC, 123, etc)
- Kindergarten Story books in English
- Primary level general knowledge
- Teen story books ...