Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Indigenous and Modern People of KK



Through the visits to Yogyakarta and Kota Kinabalu, I learnt that the indigenous people living (at least) in Asian countries have tons of similarities. Look at the costumes. The basic colors in the traditional costumes are similar to those of our ethnic costumes like Kayin and Kayar. They do use beads of red, green and yellow like Chin. Some tribes use silver accessories like Kachin. I have also seen such similarities in Java costumes.

Time passed, people changed and states developed based on the geographical, social and political situations. Today, people in different countries respond to the strangers (tourists have the first-hand experience) differently. During a trip to Kachin state, I met people who are eager to tell the stories of their live along Ayeyarwaddy River, their sentiment and conflicting emotions towards the rulers and the revolutionists and those who revealed their simple lives without uttering a word. In Yogyakarta (a very touristy city), I met people who always tried to allure you to bring into a gallery, those who tried to get a snap shot of "white" people, and students who tried to initiate a conversation with an English speaking foreigner.

In KK, I met people who seem to be neither disturbed nor delighted by the tourists. They appear to treat the foreigners as fair and good as they can without giving so much way out of their routine. Here are some examples.

It was raining. I was walking along the road towards Likas bay. I hailed a taxi and when it stopped I saw a lady passenger sitting inside. Both the driver and the passenger asked whether my destination was on their way and left me when they realized I am heading to a different direction. It took some effort for them to know where I was precisely heading to. A private car behind the taxi stopped and asked me if I want to take a ride at a reasonable fare. My first impression of his appearance was positive, I saw his employee badge of a near-by shopping center and I felt "not a bad idea". Thus, I decided to take calculated risk and hopped in. He spoke Malay and I did English. After a few rounds of clarification and bargain, finally I reached to the destination at a standard fare.

On my way back from the museum, I asked the driver if the bus went to Wisma Merdeka. He just gestured me to get on. The bus went to the terminal. At the terminal, the conductor brought me to another bus which went to my destination. All these were done without a word. Hmmmm... At least I reached to the shopping mall. I think I met people who take tourists at east in KK.

I also have a new experience during this trip. This is the first time I stay in a lodge. I found this Step-in lodge via Lonely Planet, later checked their website out. After viewing repeated comments on the cleanliness of the hostel, I decided to step in. It is a new experience to share the bathroom, get the plates and coffee mugs from the kitchen and read in the common living room. The guests seem to be familiar with this kind of hostel stay, and they just did exactly what they are supposed to. The bathroom and toilet left cleaned and the pantry tidy. I am enjoying it. My hypothesis: if every tourist behaves, we will have clean accommodation at a lower rate.

Well, my friends are coming soon. We will be heading to Mount Kinabalu today. Wish me luck!

No comments: