Saturday, December 25, 2010

The two extreme of Shanghai

In the evening, accessorized with the Shanghainese shawl, I walked towards the Bund – the flood barrier cum huge viewing pavilion facing the Oriental Pearl TV tower and the other modern sky scrapers on Pudong side of Huangpu River. I thought of taking a boat ride but later decided to walk as the weather was perfect at 18 degrees C. Thanks to the government, the Bund is kept as public space thus no entry fees. I guess there were thousands of people walking on the bund especially when the sun has set and the concrete-aluminium-glass jungle on the other side was lit up with exaggerated neon lights.

After spending enough time appreciating the Bund, the sky line opposite and the crowd, I walked through East Nanjin Road – a row of neon lit shopping centers. The malls are grand and the prices are grand too. I was almost depressed (again?) for not being able to think of buying even one item from the street especially the coats decorated with fur. Never mind. The environmentalist mindset in me would not allow me to wear it anyways. (Remember the fox and the grapes?). By visiting the back streets in the morning and walking along East Nanjin road, as well as remembering the Xintiandi I visited yesterday, I think I really saw and felt the two extremes of Shanghai.

No comments: